Schedule a consultation today

Colorado Divorce And Family Law FAQ

Our law practice is devoted exclusively to family law. Below are some of the most common questions we hear from people who are exploring their rights and seeking legal representation.

Read on for background information, and please call our law office at 303-691-9600 if you would like to discuss your specific situation with our experienced attorneys.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are valid grounds for divorce in Colorado?

Colorado is a no-fault divorce state. The only basis for divorce in Colorado is “irretrievable breakdown of the marriage,” which simply means there is no hope of reconciliation. Either party can file for divorce, even if the other spouse does not want a divorce. It is not necessary to have other grounds for a divorce. Additionally, fault (such as adultery, abandonment or cruelty) is not considered in determining financial issues.

Back to top

What is legal separation? Is it quicker than getting a divorce?

Legal separation is not a shortcut to divorce. The court process is generally the same as for a divorce and it requires the same steps, waiting periods and the like. It does not dissolve the marriage. Legal separation is a formal process to address finances, joint property and care of children when a married couple has decided to live apart. Legal separation is an order of the court and may involve many of the same issues as divorce, including property division, allocation of parenting responsibilities (“custody”), and awarding of child support and spousal maintenance (“alimony”). Legal separation is not a required step before getting divorced, but it may be later converted to a divorce at the request of either spouse.

Back to top

How long does it take to obtain a divorce or legal separation in Colorado?

Once the action is started, Colorado law requires a 91-day waiting period before either a decree of dissolution or legal separation can be entered to finalize the process. Due to crowded court dockets in some districts, the process sometimes takes much longer in contested cases.

Back to top

My marriage was very short – can I get an annulment?

An annulment or declaration of invalidity is generally available only if there was some legal impediment to the creation of a valid marriage. The fact that the marriage was of short duration is generally not a basis for annulment.

Back to top

What are the residency requirements for divorce in Colorado?

After you or your spouse has lived in Colorado for at least 90 days, either of you can file for divorce or separation. After you submit a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage or Legal Separation, there is a 91-day waiting period before the divorce or separation decree can be officially entered. As long as the residency requirement was met when the action was started, you do not have to remain in Colorado until it is occluded.

Back to top

Does it matter which spouse files for divorce?

No. Being first to file has no bearing on property, custody, maintenance or any facet of divorce proceedings. Both parties are required to divulge the same information to the court.

Back to top

What is a common-law marriage in Colorado?

In Colorado, there are two ways a person can marry. The first is to obtain a marriage license and have the marriage solemnized by an appropriate official. The other, common-law marriage, is established by the mutual consent of the parties to be husband and wife, followed by their mutual and open assumption of a marital relationship. Despite common beliefs, cohabitation for a certain period of time does not, in and of itself, create a common-law marriage.

Back to top

If I have a common-law marriage, do I need a formal divorce in Colorado?

Yes. There is no such thing as a common-law divorce. If a common-law marriage has, in fact, been created, a formal divorce is necessary to terminate it. Even if there is no common-law marriage, court action may be necessary to divide jointly owned property or to determine issues relating to your children like custody or child support.

Back to top

What is alternative dispute resolution (ADR)?

Alternative dispute resolution is an umbrella term for out-of-court alternatives to litigation. Mediation and arbitration are common ADR methods. In fact, some courts require mediation as a prerequisite to setting a trial date. Collaborative law is another option in which the parties agree in writing not to litigate.

Back to top

What is mediation?

Mediation is an ADR method in which you and the opposing party, and your lawyers if you have lawyers, meet with a neutral third-party mediator who facilitates negotiations and attempts to help you to reach an agreement. A mediator does not have decision-making authority, unlike a judge or arbitrator. Mediators can help you to identify the issues that need to be addressed. Many mediators are attorneys; however, there are also a number of good mediators who are not attorneys. If mediation is unsuccessful, the offers made during mediation must be kept confidential and cannot be used in court.

Back to top

What is collaborative family law in Colorado?

In a collaborative case, the spouses, specially trained lawyers and neutral experts work together exclusively toward settlement. The participants all agree at the outset that they will not pursue litigation. If the participants are unable to resolve all the issues and it becomes necessary to go to court, parties sometimes agree that the original lawyers and experts will be disqualified from the case. Some of the lawyers of Hogan Omidi, PC, are specially trained in collaborative family law.

Back to top

What is arbitration?

Arbitration is a method of alternative dispute resolution where a neutral third party (arbitrator) is hired to decide your case. The arbitrator has decision-making authority just as a judge would if you went to court. The arbitrator’s decisions are binding upon the parties.

Back to top

How is child support determined in Colorado?

In Colorado, the amount of child support to be paid is determined through the use of a formula. The formula utilizes the gross monthly income of each party, the amount of time the child spends with each parent, childcare expenses, the cost of the child’s medical insurance and any extraordinary needs of the child. Occasionally other adjustments also apply. For these reasons, your child support order will probably differ from the child support order of a friend or neighbor even if you both have the same number of children.

Back to top

How is custody of the children determined in Colorado?

Colorado uses the term parental responsibilities instead of custody. There are two separate components encompassed in what previously was referred to as custody. The first is decision-making responsibility, which may be awarded to both parents jointly or solely to one of the parents. If the parents are unable to agree on who will have decision-making authority for the children, the court will decide based upon the best interests of the children.

The second component is parenting time (traditionally referred to as visitation) which is the scheduled time each parent has with the children. Parenting time is determined separately from decision-making responsibility. Parenting time is determined based upon the best interests of the children.

Back to top

Does visitation depend on child support?

No, visitation (parenting time) and child support are separate matters. The amount of parenting time is one factor in determining the level of child support, but parenting time is based on the best interests of the child. Failure to pay child support is not grounds to deny that parent visitation with their child. Conversely, court restrictions on visitation do not relieve that parent from paying child support.

Back to top

How is property divided in a divorce in Colorado?

Colorado is not what is referred to as a “community property” state. Accordingly, an equal division of assets and debts is not required by law. Instead, the court is required to make an equitable or fair division based upon the circumstances of the spouses. Understandably, there is a lot of room for dispute as to what is “equitable” in any given situation.

Property may be characterized as either separate or marital. A party’s separate property is not subject to division in a divorce. Marital property is divided between the spouses in the divorce action.

Back to top

When is the divorce final?

The divorce is final the day it is granted in court if there is a court appearance, or the day the judge signs the decree if the divorce is granted based on documents filed without a hearing.

Back to top

Do you take cases on a “flat-fee” basis?

No. We feel that this fee arrangement is not in the client’s best interest. We have found that the most cost-effective family law case is one that is billed only for actual hours spent on the case. Since we can’t predict in advance how much time any case will take, a flat fee is likely to be unfair to you if the case resolves quickly or to us if the case is particularly time-consuming.

Back to top

Do you take cases on a “contingency” basis?

Ethical rules prohibit lawyers from making contingent-fee arrangements in most types of family law matters.

Back to top

How can I keep costs to a minimum?

There are many things that you can do to contribute to a cost-effective process. Cooperating in promptly getting all requested information to your attorney will help minimize costs. Litigating issues can be expensive, so it is important to attempt settlement options, and to choose your priorities carefully. Your lawyer will be able to discuss with you whether there are specific tasks you can do that will assist in the preparation of your case. Keep in mind that we have a staff of efficient and highly trained paralegals. They can usually prepare the routine paperwork for a case more quickly than they can correct the efforts of a person unfamiliar with the process.

Back to top

Will the firm represent both spouses in a divorce or legal separation proceeding?

No. It is the policy of the firm to represent the best interests of only one party. Even if you and your spouse are able to reach an agreement, you will have conflicting interests and we will not attempt to look out for both spouses at once.

Back to top

Where do your lawyers practice?

The vast majority of our cases are filed in the Denver metro area, including the counties of Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Broomfield, Denver, Douglas and Jefferson. However, we represent clients throughout the state of Colorado, including those located in the High Country and the Western Slope. We also have a satellite office in Aspen. Members of the firm have been admitted to practice in the federal courts and in Connecticut, New York and Tennessee and we also deal with cases having multistate or international issues.

Back to top

Do you offer a consultation?

Consultations with our lawyers are viewed as an opportunity for you to get advice and information about your basic questions and particular legal needs. That meeting represents a significant investment of time for both you and the lawyers with whom you choose to meet. Because a consultation is such a valuable resource, we do not offer the service free of charge. Keep in mind that once you have consulted with one of our lawyers, we will usually be precluded from representing your spouse, even if you decide not to retain us.

Back to top

We Can Answer All Your Family Law Questions

Hogan Omidi, PC, serves the Denver metro and all of Colorado, with offices in Cherry Creek and Aspen. Call 303-691-9600 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our lawyers.